Opportunity Cost

Filed under:

Opportunity cost is a common term in Economics. In definition, it means:

The cost of an alternative that must be forgone in order to pursue a certain action.
Investopedia provides economics dummies like myself an example that illustrates the concept very well.
If a gardener decides to grow carrots, his or her opportunity cost is the alternative crop that might have been grown instead (potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkins, etc.).
What else? I love the way Liu Yong (famous writer) put it.

我们都只有一生,选了这个,很可能就永远失去了那个. 如同我的学生所说,他假使选择美术系,今天可能不是成功的大老板,而是伟大的画家.

所以,你永远在选了梨之后,都可以猜如果挑苹果,会更好。也可以在大家都赞美苹果的时候,毫无遗憾地说:“我仍然相信我的选择最正确。”


别问我,问你自己!如果你还不能独立、不能坚持、不能无悔,就最好别擅自‘坚持’做你可能‘后悔’的事。相反的,如果你认为符合做主的条件,坚信自己能成为另一个比尔·盖茨,谁又能阻拦你呢?”


I have a choice to make. A choice between working as a well-paid professional, or to pursue a new journey in telecommunications. There is no way to do both. I can only hope that I don't live to regret my final call.

0 comments: